Practices for Becoming a More Emotionally Intelligent Leader


Emotional Quotient (EQ) has probably held me back from achieving my full potential. It took me decades to realize that high IQ and vision were of little importance without understanding human emotions. 

Would like to define 4 fundamental important practices to be an emotional intelligent leader;

1. Realistic self-confidence.

Anishjai writes that this means "you understand your own strengths and limitations; you operate from competence and know when to rely on someone else on the team."
I used to be afraid to admit I did not know something or could not do everything well. But I am now happy to admit that I am not good at getting every detail right and do not enjoy trying to remedy that weakness.

2. Emotional insight.

"You understand your feelings. Being aware of what makes you angry, for instance, can help you manage that anger," writes Anishjai.
I used to panic and take thoughtless actions when I felt under enormous pressure. That caused me to make mistakes that I now realize I could have avoided.
I have realized that I do not need to make most decisions immediately.

3. Good listening.

"You pay full attention to the other person and take time to understand what they are saying, without talking over them or hijacking the agenda," according to Anishjai.
I have tried to get better at this. There is no doubt that I used to try to cut people off as soon as I thought that I knew what they meant to say. I realize now that this annoys people.

4. Self-motivation.

"You keep moving toward distant goals despite setbacks," is how Anishjai defines self-motivation.
Having faced many setbacks and kept moving forward, I think this is something that I have practiced for a long time. I remember when I graduated from business school, I wanted to interview with venture capital firms but was turned down at every one of them.
This above mentioned are the base that we could start with. why now emotional intelligence getting too much attention. Yes, its the age where everybody has to do multitasking and lot to live with. At every second, 1000 things we are dealing to make it work at the least  1 thing and thats where EI will give you a start- Anishjai

Comments